Saturday 4 October 2008

"What's going on, dad?

"..storm warning tonight after midnight. I'm trying to decide whether to get out of here and beat the weather...
..or, what?
Stay and suffer."

We depart, I with heart take part and fall from you without a tear, so that you may understand my fear when I guess that I had meant what I had said when I had said that I would wait for this, and with an apparent hiss of the hydraulics the train's momentum alone will take me home.
That day you drove me, it seems I trust you, even in sleep. Last night we drank and it wasn't easy but we got by -- it hurt me to be put on stand by, to simply watch and let you cry.
I looked through squinted eyes, alike a looking glass, as so that I would not forget. I guess I will wait until it's too late, if you let me.
"forget me not," I'd written on your bedroom mirror in make-up, and if you'd have awoken sooner you'd have seen the illustration clearer but instead your mother had wiped it most of the way off and left me a mess, on your sofa, alone, on the other-side of your life; where vanity exists.

No comments: